<sorry about the tease earlier today>
Allow me to first remind everyone that Dr. Monahan is a chiropractor. He is not a hair doctor. So please be civilized with your comments and do not take this as hair loss advice from Dr. Monahan.
Dr. Monahan was in the official Dutasteride trail conducted by Dr. Sawaya. He is simply relating his experiences for the benefit of the posters here. Please be THANKFUL that Dr. Monahan is willing to share with us his results. Don't flame the good doctor.
The following is based on the questions compiled in the forum earlier last month
Dr. Monahan's answers were paraphrased below:
NONE whatsoever according to Dr. Monahan. He said the medication started working almost immediately and there was never any shedding.
2) Shedding among other test subjects
Dr. Monahan was not aware of any test subjects who experienced shedding while using Dutasteride. As a matter of fact, Glaxo never mentioned to Dr. Monahan anything about shedding. However, that does not mean that there was no shedding among the test subjects. It's just that the issue was never brought up or mentioned during the time when Dr. Monahan was a test subject.
3) What was Dr. Monahan's daily dose while he was a test subject?
This has been addressed at least TWICE already and posters here just have to respect the fact that Dr. Monahan honestly cannot remember exactly what dose he was on during the trial. He does, however, remember that he was given the highest dose, whether it be 2.5 mg or 5 mg.
4) How many months did the trial last?
Just a little more than six months. But Glaxo continued to monitor his DHT level for another 4-5 months subsequent to the termination of the trial. It was found that the same level of DHT inhibition persisted for about 4 months after Dr. Monahan stopped using the medication.
5) Was Dr. Monahan given a loading dose at the beginning of the trial?
NO, NO, NO !!! Who started this rumor ???????
6) Did Dr. Monahan use finasteride prior to the dutasteride trial?
7) When Dr. Monahan switched to finasteride after the termination of the dutasteride trial, did he maintain all or substantially all of the regrowth from dutasteride?
8) Is Dr. Monahan using Avodart now?
9) What is Dr. Monahan's daily dose now?
2.5 mg daily.
10) Did Dr. Monahan experience any shedding this time?
11) How long has he been on Avodart?
1 1/2 month.
12) Is Dr. Monahan seeing results this time?
Yes. Dr. Monahan is seeing about 15% regrowth at this point (1.5 month since using Avodart) - approximately 15% of the regrowth he had by the end of the Dutasteride trial.
13) Describe Dr. Monahan's results while he was in the dutasteride trial.
Dr. Monahan experienced regrowth all over but the thickening was most promienent in the crown area. Regrowth started in the crown area and it was very apparent that the regrowth was creeping forward toward the hairline. Regrowth was also observed in "shiny" bald spots. However, Dr. Monahan said he did not regain a cosmetically acceptable hairline. While there was definitely regrowth along the hairline and the temples, the hairline was still relatively weak by the end of the trial.
14) How and when does Dr. Monahan take his Avodart?
2.5mg all at the same time (with dietary supplements) in the morning, empty stomach, shortly before breakfast.
15) What supplements does Dr. Monahan take?
Dr. Monahan also takes B vitamins, muti-mineral vitamins, omega 3 fish oils, baby aspirin (mainly for his cardiovascular condition). Most supplements are taken in the morning at the same time he takes his Avodart. In addition, Dr. Monahan maintains a very balanced diet with appropriate amount of protein and he has vitamins and minerals adminstered intravenously once a month.
16) Does Dr. Monahan use other treatments such as Rogaine etc ?
17) Additional questions for Dr. Monahan
Dr. Monahan will be taking questions in the Doctors & Expert forum (available in 1 week). No more than 2 questions per week.
18) New website
Last but not least, Dr. Monahan will have his own website up in about a month. It is called monahanclinics.com. I will make the announcement when it is up and running.
I hate to do this to you guys again, but PLEASE fill out the Avodart survey if you have not already done so. IF you have filled out the survey many months ago, please give us a current update.
I can't stress enough how important this survey is to all of us here, so please HELP!
Thank you guys !!